Friday 17 February 2006

A Claustrophobic's Worst Nightmare

I did not have the best day at work today! I managed to 'lose' my security pass and I was trapped in an elevator at work for 1 hour!

I had to collect the milk supplies for the day and put my security card on the bench in the kitchen while I stocked the fridges. When I went to pick it up it was gone. I double checked that I had not put it in either fridge by mistake. I sent an email out to the floor in case someone else picked it up by mistake. It was and they eventually returned it a couple of hours later.

Then, as I was going out for lunch, the elevator I was in got stuck somewhere between the first and ground floor.

I felt like a tool having to press the emergency button, but I did and waited for further instructions via the emergency telephone (as per instructions in the elevator). Five minutes later I was still waiting, and so pressed the emergency button again. Still nothing.

I pulled out my mobile, found a spot in the elevator where the signal was the strongest, and rang our switchboard operator to let them know that I was stuck.

She put me on hold while she notified our 'Help Desk'. A few minutes later she came back to let me know that they had been notified. She asked if I was alright and then said she would keep me on hold.

After a few more minutes she came back and asked if I wanted to stay on hold, considering I was paying for the call, or she would keep in touch via the emergency phone. I said to keep in touch via the emergency phone.

I had nothing to do because I didn't have a book or a magazine, so I sat down on the floor and sent out a text message to all my friends, telling them of my predicament.

Over the next 30 minutes, the lady on the switchboard called me a few times to let me know what was happening. Each time she rang, my mobile would start ringing with an incoming text from friends.

It was at this time that she asked if I had been contacted by someone from the elevator service company. I told her no. The next thing I know, I get a call from one of the guys from our help desk asking me the same thing.

He rang me again about 10 minutes later to let me know that he was waiting for someone to get back to him with an eta, when his mobile rings - it was the elevator service company! He told me that it would be another 15 to 20 minutes before anyone could get there.

So, an hour later (and well over the time when my lunch break finished) I finally escaped.

I'm so glad I am not claustrophobic!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ARGH! That would've driven me insane! I was stuck in an elevator once for 5 minutes and even then I was getting quite anxious.

At least you weren't in there with someone smelly. Now THAT you can't escape.

Dette said...

Very true!

I'm glad it wasn't a really hot day, nor that I needed to go to the toilet! That would have been a real disaster! :)