Monday 7 August 2006

Matchmaker

One of the last phone calls I took today was one of the most interesting I have had at work for at least the 12 months.

While the guy was rummaging through his papers, looking for the information I'd asked for, we made small talk about how Monday's and Friday's always seem to take forever but how Wednesday's normally go quickly.

Then out of nowhere, he made a comment about his age - he was 18 going on 19 (and I can't for the life of me think what the comment would have been) - and I responded that I was a lot older than him. It took him only 3 tries to guess 30.

The rest of the conversation went like this:

18 year old: My boss is 30 too. Are you single?
Me: I am.
18 year old: He's single too. He's a great guy and owns his own business.
Me: Does he live North or South of the river?
18 year old: South.
Me: I'm north of the river... 15 minutes away from where you are (he lives in the Hillarys area)... South of the river is too far away. No trains yet.
18 year old: You must be near Joondalup - isn't Joondalup great! Got everything you could need....

And it went on for about 10 minutes before we got back to the reason he was calling. At the end of the call, he said cheekily that he would try to convince his boss to ring my company to talk to me.

It was an innocent bit of fun that I had a laugh about with one of my colleagues who had been listening to my side of the conversation and was a little confused by what was going on.

If only it were that simple to be set up with someone... *sigh*

No comments: