Monday 8 October 2007

Public Transport Chaos

For the train closure I had planned on working a late shift (starting 11.45 and finishing 8pm), driving down to Subiaco and catching the train in, but that was dashed when I found out that the Fremantle lines were closed too. I thought fate had smiled on me because I was given the early shift (starting 7am and finishing 3.15pm).

So on Monday, expecting minor delays, I was up and in the shower at 4.30am, dressed and had breakfast and walked out the door an hour later. I was at Currambine train station, waiting a good 15-20 minutes earlier than I needed to ... and... there was no train.

6.00 am came and went, still no trains. By this time I was contemplating jumping in my car and driving like a lunatic to try and get a parking spot at Glendalough train station (where there is minimal parking) and catching one of the buses which were shuttling passengers to Perth.

I decided against it thinking that there wouldn't be too long a delay. By 6.30, I had given up on catching the train, and knew that I would have no chance of getting a parking spot at Glendalough and dreaded the thought of driving in to Perth and trying to get a parking spot there either, so I rang my Mum who came and picked me up and ended up driving me in to work. My Smartrider card was debited even though I hadn't actually caught the train. *grrr*

Now remember, I was supposed to start work at 7 - I didn't get into work until 8! Our front desk security guy didn't get in until almost 9. The trains were that full they weren't picking up passengers at some stations.

I thought it would be easier going home and that it couldn't be any worse than it had been that morning. Well it wasn't as bad, but it wasn't good either.

After work I spoke to someone at the information desk and was advised that I would need to call a special phone number to have the fare put back onto my Smartrider card. I then ran across to catch the replacement bus.

We were waiting for the traffic lights to change when a bus in the next lane decided he wanted to try to squeeze between us and another bus in another lane. Next thing you know BANG! He misjudged the size of his bus and ran into the back of us (opposite of where I was sitting), so we were sitting on the side of the road for 10 minutes while the drivers sorted out insurance stuff.

I can't wait for the trains to be back to normal!

No comments: